Judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s appeal for a new trial in killing of Austin Metcalf

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony’s New-Trial Appeal

Bizeconanalysis.com – A Collin County judge denies Karmelo Anthony’s appeal for a new trial, ending what had become one of Texas’s most closely watched criminal proceedings. Judge Michael Chitty issued the ruling Saturday after a marathon hearing that ran past midnight Friday, leaving the former NBA star’s defense team with little recourse beyond a full appellate challenge before the Fifth Court of Appeals.

The decision means the jury’s verdict stands: Anthony deliberately stabbed 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a scuffle at a Frisco Independent School District track meet in April 2025. Unless a higher court intervenes, Anthony faces a 35-year prison sentence. His attorneys have already signaled they will press the matter on appeal, arguing that procedural irregularities during the original trial tainted the outcome.

What the Motion Sought

Anthony’s new defense team filed the new-trial motion shortly after his conviction earlier this summer. At its core, the filing contended that the murder trial operated under a set of extraordinary, privately negotiated rules so restrictive that they effectively denied Anthony a fair proceeding. The defense argued that sealed pre-trial hearings, a tightly controlled courtroom, and an informal understanding between both sides’ lawyers to suppress background information about the defendant and the victim rendered the trial fundamentally unconventional.

Under that framework, the jury was meant to evaluate only what transpired beneath a tent at the Frisco high school track facility — the moment Anthony allegedly stabbed Metcalf. Everything else, including documented histories of violent behavior on both sides, was to be kept out of the jurors’ view and out of the public record.

Testimony That Turned Personal

The hearing produced an unusual spectacle: two attorneys who are close friends in private life took the witness stand on opposite sides of the case. Their exchange at one point grew heated as they sparred over whether Anthony had received a fair trial, underscoring how deeply the original proceedings had divided the legal community in Collin County.

Among the defense witnesses was Toby Shook, who had served as one of Anthony’s trial attorneys. Shook told Judge Chitty that prosecutors had cornered his team during pre-trial negotiations. According to Shook, the original plan called for Anthony to take the stand and testify in his own defense, but prosecutors were prepared to impose severe limits on questioning because of what he described as a “gentleman’s agreement” not to probe the personal histories of either the defendant or the victim.

Prosecutor Bill Wirskye, who acted as lead counsel at the hearing and had also prosecuted the original murder trial, disputed that characterization. Wirskye told the court there was never any agreement preventing Anthony from testifying. He maintained that the unusual procedural restrictions were warranted by threats against participants, intense public pressure, and a flood of misinformation surrounding the case. In his view, those measures protected the integrity of the trial rather than undermining it.

Wirskye pointed to a pattern of high-profile trials he said had been compromised by outside agitators and threats, arguing that justified the sealed hearings and controlled courtroom environment. The defense countered that those safeguards crossed a constitutional line, contending that the absence of public access violated federal guarantees of a fair and open proceeding.

Backgrounds Finally in the Open

During Thursday’s opening statements, both sides dropped pretense and laid out the troubled histories of Anthony and Metcalf for the judge’s consideration. It emerged that a private, off-the-record understanding had been struck before the original trial specifically to keep the backgrounds of both men away from the jury and the public, so that jurors would focus exclusively on the stabbing under the tent.

Anthony’s background, which had not previously been made public, was read into the record when the state presented its case at the hearing. In closing arguments, defense attorney Russell Wilson tied the procedural history to Anthony’s decision not to testify, saying a heated exchange between prosecutors and his lawyers had eroded Anthony’s trust in the state and contributed to his choice to stay silent on the stand.

Reactions and What Comes Next

Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis issued a statement welcoming the ruling.

“We respect, and expected, the court’s decision denying the motion for a new trial. The jury’s guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process.”

Anthony’s legal team has indicated it will file an appeal with the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas. The appellate brief will likely center on whether the sealed-hearing protocol and the suppression of background evidence violated due-process guarantees under the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. A decision from that court could take months, during which Anthony remains in custody.

Frequently Asked Questions

What exactly did the judge decide? A Collin County judge denied Karmelo Anthony’s appeal for a new trial, meaning the jury’s murder conviction and the associated 35-year sentence remain in effect unless overturned on appeal.

When did the original trial take place? The murder trial concluded earlier this summer, following the April 2025 stabbing of Austin Metcalf at a Frisco ISD track meet.

What happens next for Anthony? His attorneys plan to appeal to the Fifth Court of Appeals in Dallas, arguing that procedural restrictions during the original trial violated constitutional guarantees. No timeline for an appellate decision has been announced.

Why was the trial conducted under sealed-hearing rules? Both sides agreed before trial to limit public access and suppress background information about the defendant and victim, citing threats, public pressure, and misinformation. The defense now argues those restrictions were so sweeping they deprived Anthony of a fair proceeding.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *